I very much enjoy having the opportunity to support professional development in a variety of sectors, including higher education, K12, libraries, health, or beyond. Below are a small selection of contributions I have made in this area.
2014-15 EdCamp Victoria Steering Committee Member (event Feb 28, 2015)
Getting rolling at #edcampvic 🙂 pic.twitter.com/RNawY3mIJx
— Valerie Irvine (@_valeriei) February 28, 2015
2012-2013 Chair of EdCampWest (multi-site enabled edcamp crossing Higher Ed & K12)
- Program Committee of 15, sponsorship from BC Ministry of Education, Open Schools BC, BCCampus, BCNet, the Canadian Education Association, IBM K12 Canada, and the Learning and Teaching Centres from UVic and SFU.
- This was an exceptional event as we offered the first k-12/higher education merged edcamp and we also offered the first online edcamp. We had co-located sites at UVic, SFU, and online with approximately 100 attendees at each site.
2012-2015 Chair, #tietalk Speaker Series – I hosted guest talks from leaders in educational technology including:
- Dave Cormier (UPEI), Alec Couros (URegina), John Willinsky (StanfordU), George Siemens (AthabascaU), and Alan Levine/Brian Lamb (TRU) have been invited guests to date. Archives of all talks are available on the TIE Talk webpage.
- The TIE Lab, UVic Learning and Teaching Centre, and UVic Systems have been sponsors.
2013, Professional Development Day, Glanford Middle School, Victoria School District #61. Session offered on Current Movements in 21st Century Learning. Invitation to help facilitate BYOD initiative in the school.
2012, Apple workshops
- I facilitated Apple coming to UVic to offer an iBook Author Workshop and an iTunesU Course Manager Workshop